The primary method of lung cancer prevention is for people to quit smoking and for non-smokers not to begin. The risk of lung cancer in a smoker with an annual reduction of smoke-free so it is never too late to quit smoking.
Although lung cancer is only one of the most serious diseases caused by cigarette smoking, is often the most painful because it is almost completely preventable.
If you want to quit smoking:
- Decide that you want to close and stand by your decision.
- Delete all everything that reminds you of smoking, including ashtrays, lighters and cigarettes.
- Take one day at a time. Your goal is to not smoke today.
- When it comes to being in difficult, ask your family, friends and GP for support and advice.
- Consider joining your local NHS Quitters class (ask your doctor or practice nurse for more information).